I wonder why I didn't try it earlier

I always the last person to jump on the bandwagon, and I said, better late then never isn't it.

So yesterday, i gather all the courage that I have, couple with some useful gadgets, I'm ready to bake my umpteeth macaron BUT this time, I going to use italian meringue method. I've been shying away from using this method as I know it need a lots of courage among other. Sound scary isn't it.

After DH left to do his morning run, I prepared all my ingredients, and staring at them, I said, that's it. It's now or never. It's bit like circus, you have to juggled a lot of thing at the same time. And making sure that the syrup reached at the good hot point before switched it off and at the same time start the mixer right about time when the syrup about to cool off etc. I was very nervous. Never I felt nervous preparing macaron before.

The moment I piped my last drop of the batter, I  was relief. Well, the batter look like it suppose to be. What else can go wrong if I've follow the recipe from A to Z isn't it?

Now come the final stage, after 30 minutes RIP, I cranked up the oven and wait patiently before i can put my first tray - please God, make it happen. InsyaAllah...

Once in and after 5-6 minutes, I saw what I really want to see! I was so happy that I called everybody gather in front of the oven, just like watching your first baby making their first step. I did it! The mac shells puff up beautifully and evenly with its feets.

I feel like giving myself a big pat on the shoulder. I'm so proud of myself.

No wonder a lots of beginners prefer to do this method, it is more reliable than french method. Well, we all know how french are very temperamental - oopsss... :P

From now on, I will use only this method. Promise.

Result, I have very shiny and smooth shells, cruncy on the outside and chewy in the inside, just like it suppose to be.



Pierre Herme's Basic Macaron with Italian Method

100 g aged white egg (bring to room temp)
125 g icing sugar
125 g ground almond
125 g fine sugar
34 g water
Colouring (optional)

Sift ground almond with icing sugar.

Divide egg whites into 2 equal portions (50 g each). Put the first portion into the ground almond mixture, and another into the mixing bowl, set aside.

Place water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil, Do not stir. Once the bubble start to appear, start whipping the egg white with a medium speed until it reaches soft peek, let the motor running.

Once the syrup reach 118C, pull off from the heat and let it cool down to 115C, pour slowly the syrup over the mixing bowl. Keep beating the egg white and medium speed until the mixture cool down and you are able to touch the side of the bowl. The finished whipped egg will be stiff and glossy.

Using rubber spatula, take quater of the whipped egg and pour into the ground almond mixture. You can mix it vigorously until the mixture are smooth. Fold the rest of the whipped egg into 2 batched, this time more gently but thoroughly until smooth and well blended. The batter should be thick and flow slowly.

Add the mixture into piping bag and pipe the batter (around 2.5 cm round) on the baking parchment and leave some space for the macaron to expand during the baking.

Leave the piped macaron uncovered for 30-60 minutes until the crust is form and dry to touch.

Pre-heat the oven  at 160C for few minutes. Once the oven are ready, reduce the temperature to 150C, baked the shells for about 15-20 minutes, depend on the size of your shells.

Remove the shells from the sheets once its completely cool and pipe the filling. Let the filled macarons a couple of hours in the fridge, this called maturation. Well, if you could wait.

Comments

  1. assalamualaikum hanim...
    lama x jengah sini..kagum la dgn macaron u...comel sangat2...i pnh wat sekali tapi failed...sedih wehhh ...

    rasa nk buat lagi la...n for sure i ikut resepi neh...tq for sharing..kalau jadi i letak lam blog...kalau diam tuh..confirmed la failed ekekeke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa'alaikum Salam Mak Qis, terima kasih bebanyak.

    Mak Qis, sebelum ni saya guna french method kan, memang prone to fail. Tapi yang ni merata saya pergi kat internet semua cakap italion meringue ni so reliable. Memang saya akan berpatah arang lepas ni dengan french method :-P

    cuba ek kalau rajin, mau Pierre Herme bangga punya, btw saya lupa nak credit to him for the recipe. Kalau buat nanti jgn lupa update yr blog ok, jadi or not itu belakang cerita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanim,
    You make it look so very easy to make. Picture pulak goges!!

    ground almond itu finely ground ke? if can kita nak tenguk texture nya sbb kat sini kena buat sendiri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terima kasih Jemer, coming from u memanglah i appreciate sangat.

    Ok, you kena blend the almond sampai halus. Then guna tapis halus, kalau ada belen tinggal, you blend lagi. Kejap lagi i take pic of the almond ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment